Monday, April 16, 2007

Alliance for Affordable Energy

Over spring break I worked with the Alliance for Affordable Energy in New Orleans. The Alliance is a non-profit, public interest, membership organization dedicated to creating fair, affordable, environmentally responsible, community-based energy policies for Louisiana and the nation. Post Hurricane Katrina, the Alliance has been committed to incorporating sustainable and affordable energy policies into the city's rebuilding efforts. I was able to assist in a number of tasks over the course of the week that I worked with the Alliance. I helped to take down and transport an exhibit on energy-efficient building techniques and technology that had been on display at a large home and garden show at the New Orleans Superdome; I helped to tear down storm-damaged plaster and insulation and build new wall partitions for a public resource room the Alliance is creating in their office building; and I helped to write articles for the organization's newsletter. By working with the Allian
ce, I gained an appreciation for the struggles small businesses and organizations still face in the wake of Hurricane's Katrina and Rita, and I gained an appreciation for the Alliance's commitment to rebuilding a more sustainable, energy-efficient New Orleans.

~Brian

1 comment:

JB said...

Thanks so much for your help with the Home Show and the newsletter. It was great to meet you.